Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: OT:Want to guess what speakers I just won at auction?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: OT:Want to guess what speakers I just won at auction?

    The tech data is 1992 vintage, though the design is somewhat older, but like the old Altec 409 series, no need to fix what ain't broke....... My only concern is whether the same quality piezo of the original is even available today at any cost.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member fpitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14th, 2011
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT:Want to guess what speakers I just won at auction?

    Not sure what EV uses, but CTS still makes the original piezo tweeters they inherited from Motorola. Martin Sound has them, although they no longer sell to end users:

    CTS | Martin Sound Products

    The KSN1016A is a favorite of mine for "super-tweeter on a budget". Good dispersion to 20kHz, and if you give it a proper crossover and null the peak around 4 - 5kHz, a good general purpose tweeter.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    OT:Want to guess what speakers I just won at auction?


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: OT:Want to guess what speakers I just won at auction?

    Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    Electro Voice Pro 8A, Amazon $122.90
    Amazon.com: Electro-Voice PRO-8A Eight-Inch Coaxial Ceiling Speaker with Dome Tweeter: Musical Instruments
    And they do sound incredible on my JVC Earbuds.
    I got two for $99 from this guy: Electro Voice Pro 8A 8" Full Range Speaker Pair E V | eBay

    They originally had 70V transformers on them. I guess they were Pro 8AT5 or T30s. He took them off prior to shipping. They're brand new. I have those Frazier Manhattan cabinets that would make a good temporary test bed.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT:Want to guess what speakers I just won at auction?

    Well, I wasn't able to go get my speakers today. I dawdled at work, and was going to take my car to the auction house, instead of my truck. The battery died while trying to start the car. They're open tomorrow, so I'll do it in the morning. I didn't really want to rush over there only a 1/2 hour before they close, any way.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.